1) Welcome to Black Friday and the official start of the 2016 Holiday season, and there are lots of deals out there for runners and fitness nerds. It’s nearly impossible to list all of the deals that are out there, but here are a few resources just in case your head is spinning like mine. And be sure to look in your area for local running store “Small Business Saturday” deals.
2) Last Friday night, the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler held its annual Fall Kickoff Reception for the 45th Annual Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, which I was proud to attend and be introduced as one of the 2017 Race Ambassadors. Of course, it’s not too early to start thinking about this race because the lottery opens up in just one week on December 1. Make sure you sign up to receive a reminder notification to register, review the guide on how to enter, and be sure to check out the photos from evening!
3) Brooks Running just came out with its new Holiday 2016 “ugly sweater” running tech shirt with the theme “Sweaty Yeti” ($48, BrooksRunning.com). I just got mine, and while it feels a little too thin to wear alone on a run for this time of year, it’s perfect for layering or for hanging around the house watching Christmas movies. If you want it, don’t wait: there’s a limited supply, and they go fast ahead of the Jingle Jogs and Santa 5K season!
4) I’m still trying to figure out what is next for me as far as races and training goals, but I’m fairly certain it will involve using Kayla Itsines’s “Sweat With Kayla” app. I’ve tried it once (literally, just once) and it is hard but, if you follow her on Instagram and see some of the results she posts, they are ridiculous. Like the author of this Women’s Running article, I learned within 7 minutes just how not strong I really am. 2017 might really be the year I get what I want.
5) Thanksgiving Eve may be the biggest drinking day of the year, but Thanksgiving Day is basically the biggest running day of the year. Competitor Magazine estimates that Turkey Trot finishers are closing in on 800,000 at over 1,000 races. The biggest race is almost the size of a respectable marathon!
6) Are you by chance scrolling through my post to pass the time during an awkward Thanksgiving get-together? Here’s something else to read while you’re pretending not to hear your crazy uncle’s racially-loaded political remarks or dodging questions about your dating life. Good luck, champ, you can do this.
7) Looking for some holiday entertainment? You can’t miss Nerve.com’s list of “100 Best Christmas Movies of All Time.” Not an endorsement, since Home Alone is ranked 6th and Home Alone 2 is ranked 51 (huh!?!??), but at least A Muppet Christmas Carol and Its a Wonderful Life are ranked 2 and 4, respectively.
8) I recently wrote about how I am spending Thanksgiving alone this year. The day is here, and it kind of sucks to be away from the people I love and it’s hard not to think about the past. If you’re in the same boat, catch some of these tips from Life Hacker.
9) Coastal holiday decor is definitely my style. Coastal Living has some great tips on how to bring the tropics into your house for the holidays! Nothing like seeing a starfish adorn the top of my Christmas tree.
10) Who doesn’t love cranberries at the holidays? But can you name any other brand than Ocean Spray? Turns out that’s not quite a coincidence.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!